Home

 

Welcome to Angelina County

 the  "   Land of the Little Angel "

 

 

Angelina County Historical Markers (T-U)

 

Archives | Cemeteries | Home | Links | Lookups | Resources | Surnames | Cities | Angelina Links

 

 

Temple, Thomas Lewis Latane

Marker Number:  8726
Index Entry:  Temple, Thomas Lewis Latane
UTM Zone: 15
UTM Easting: 330216
UTM Northing: 3451773
Designations: na
Repairs Completed:
Marker Title:  Thomas Lewis Latane Temple
Address: 300 Park St., Diboll 
County:  Angelina
Subject Codes:  BU; LB
Year Marker Erected:  1994
Marker Location: at T. L. L. Temple Memorial Library, Diboll
Marker Size:  18" x 28"
Marker Text: (1859 - 1935) Virginia native Thomas Lewis Latane Temple, son of Henry W. L. and Susan (Jones) Temple, moved to Texarkana, Texas, in 1877. He married Georgie D. Fowlkes in 1880. In 1893 Temple organized the Southern Pine Lumber Company in Texarkana and began timber operations on lands he purchased here in Angelina County. Temple founded the town of Diboll in 1894 at the site of the company's main sawmill. His legacy of conservation and reforestation practices, and philanthropy towards the Diboll community and his employees was recognized by the Texas State Senate upon his death in 1935. (1994) 

U. S. Forest Service in Texas

Marker Number:  8727
Index Entry: U. S. Forest Service in Texas
UTM Zone: 15
UTM Easting: 372966
UTM Northing: 3445894
Designations: na
Repairs Completed: very poor, vandalized; refinish
Marker Title:  U. S. Forest Service in Texas
Address:    Zavalla vicinity
County: Angelina
Subject Codes: FP
Year Marker Erected: 1968
Marker Location: 5.5 miles SE of Zavalla on SH 63 (in roadside park in Angelina National Forest)
Marker Size:  18" x 28"
Marker Text: This area--heart of the Piney Woods and the East Texas forest industry--was, in 1933, cutover forests and worked-out farms. That year the Texas Legislature authorized the establishment of national forests in the state. Today Angelina, Davy Crockett, Sabine and Sam Houston forests (the 4 national forests in Texas) include over 658,000 acres. Under management, net growth exceeds 175,000,000 board feet with a value of over $7,000,000 yearly. In addition, forests offer extensive recreation areas. U. S. Forest Service offices have been in Lufkin since 1947. (1968) 

 

Angelina County, TX Historical Markers information gathered from
Texas Historic Sites Atlas - http://atlas.thc.state.tx.us



 

This  County is a part of the TXGenWeb Project, which with the other state projects, forms The USGenWeb Project. It is an organization of volunteers working for the free access of public and public domain records used in genealogical research.   If you would like to become involved,
contact Shirley Cullum  the TXGenWeb  Texas State Coordinator.
 
All rights reserved. This information may be used by libraries and genealogical societies,
however, commercial use of this information is strictly prohibited without prior permission
 of the owner. If copied, this copyright notice must appear with the information.