Home

 

Welcome to Angelina County

 the  "   Land of the Little Angel "

 

 

Angelina County Historical Markers (P-R)

 

Archives | Cemeteries | Home | Links | Lookups | Resources | Surnames | Cities | Angelina Links

 

 

 

Pine Grove Missionary Baptist Church

Marker Number:  8716
Index Entry:  Pine Grove Missionary Baptist Church
UTM Zone: 15
UTM Easting: 338648
UTM Northing: 3449223
Designations: na
Repairs Completed:
Marker Title:  Pine Grove Missionary Baptist Church
Address: Diboll vicinity
County:  Angelina
Subject Codes:  CH; BP
Year Marker Erected:  1972
Marker Location: 7 mi. east of Diboll on FM 1818
Marker Size: 14" x 24"
Marker Text: Organized 1872 by ten members from Lambert's Chapel. First pastor, J. S. Lambert; David Allbritton, clerk. Angelina Missionary Baptist Association was founded here, 1875. Veteran pastors: C. B. George, serving 25 years; O. P. Meadows, 15. (1972) 

Pollok Baptist Church

Marker Number:  8717
Index Entry: Pollok Baptist Church
UTM Zone: 15
UTM Easting: 
UTM Northing: 
Designations: na
Repairs Completed:
Marker Title:  Pollok Baptist Church
Address: Pollok
County: Angelina
Subject Codes: CH; BP
Year Marker Erected: 1996
Marker Location: Paul Townsend Rd. (CR 4A) and SH 7, Pollock
Marker Size:  18" x 28"
Marker Text: Founded as Warren Chapel Baptist Church in 1891, this congregation became known as Pollok Baptist Church in 1896. The first meeting place was shared by the Methodist and Presbyterian churches. Land acquired in 1906 by the Baptists was the site of the first church building. Early baptisms were performed in the Angelina River. Services were held once or twice monthly until 1945 when the first full-time pastor was called. Fire destroyed three church buildings in 1932, 1955, and 1960; the congregation rebuilt each time and continued to serve the area. (1996) 

Prairie Grove

Marker Number: 8718
Index Entry: Prairie Grove
UTM Zone: 15
UTM Easting: 336000
UTM Northing: 3449613
Designations: na
Repairs Completed: 
Marker Title: Prairie Grove
Address:  Diboll vicinity
County:  Angelina
Subject Codes: CY
Year Marker Erected: 1996
Marker Location: 5 mi. east of Diboll at intersection of FM 1818 and CR 263
Marker Size: 18" x 28"
Marker Text: The community of Prairie Grove began in 1845 and became a place for early settlers to gather. A cemetery began in 1849 when the young daughter of John M. and Caroline Stovall died. In the 1880s a school/church building was erected near the cemetery, and became the heart of the community. The church became the Prairie Grove Missionary Baptist Church in 1921, and a new schoolhouse was built that served the area until 1948 when the school was disbanded. The church and cemetery continue to serve the area after more than a century. (1996) 

Redland Baptist Church

Marker Number: 8719
Index Entry: Redland Baptist Church
UTM Zone: 15
UTM Easting: 336437
UTM Northing: 3476134
Designations: 
Repairs Completed:
Marker Title: Redland Baptist Church
Address:  Lufkin vicinity
County: Angelina
Subject Codes: CH; BP
Year Marker Erected: 1994
Marker Location:  4 mi north of Lufkin on US 59, just south of the intersection of FM 2021
Marker Size: 18" x 28"
Marker Text: Liberty Baptist Church, established in the Redland community in 1859, became Redland Baptist Church after reorganizing in 1895. Worship services were held in a local schoolhouse until 1924 when the congregation built its first sanctuary. A new church building was erected in 1939, and in 1942 the first full-time pastor was called. Growth in church membership resulted in the construction of new facilities in 1960 and a larger sanctuary at this site in 1976. Redland Baptist serves the community with a variety of programs and supports a wide range of missionary work. (1994)

Ryan Chapel

Marker Number: 8720
Index Entry:  Ryan Chapel
UTM Zone: 15
UTM Easting: 329891
UTM Northing:  3455049
Designations: na
Repairs Completed: 
Marker Title:  Ryan Chapel
Address: Diboll vicinity
County:  Angelina
Subject Codes:  CH; ME
Year Marker Erected:  1964
Marker Location: from Diboll, take US 59 1 mi. to FM 2497; go NW 1.1 mi. to church at intersection with FM 304
Marker Size: 14" x 24"
Marker Text: Founded 1866, after new settler, Rev. Isaac Ryan, had Methodist revival in home before occupying it. His brother John was one of 19 charter members. L. H. D. and Sallie Guinn gave 7.5 acres for church and cemetery. First 16 by 20-ft. church had puncheon seats and floor. First pastor, Rev. Henry Wright, was paid in bacon, corn, syrup. (1964) 

 

Angelina County, TX Historical Markers information gathered from
Texas Historic Sites Atlas - http://atlas.thc.state.tx.us

 

 


 

This  County is a part of the TXGenWeb Project, which with the other state projects, forms The USGenWeb Project. It is an organization of volunteers working for the free access of public and public domain records used in genealogical research.   If you would like to become involved,
contact Shirley Cullum  the TXGenWeb  Texas State Coordinator.
 
All rights reserved. This information may be used by libraries and genealogical societies,
however, commercial use of this information is strictly prohibited without prior permission
 of the owner. If copied, this copyright notice must appear with the information.