Home

 

Welcome to Angelina County

 the  "   Land of the Little Angel "

 

 

Angelina County Historical Markers (M-O)

 

Archives | Cemeteries | Home | Links | Lookups | Resources | Surnames | Cities | Angelina Links

 

 

 

Machinery from Early East Texas Logging Railroads

Marker Number:  6992
Index Entry:  Machinery from Early East Texas Logging Railroads
UTM Zone: 15
UTM Easting: 337856
UTM Northing: 3469842
Designations: na
Repairs Completed:
Marker Title:  Machinery from Early East Texas Logging Railroads
Address: 1903 Atkinson Dr., Lufkin 
County:  Angelina
Subject Codes:  LB
Year Marker Erected:  1972
Marker Location: Texas Forestry Assn. grounds on SH 103E
Marker Size:  18" x 28"
Marker Text: Steam locomotive and tender No. 3 were bought 1908 by Carter-Kelley Lumber Co., for use in building a sawmill at Manning (about 18 mi. south); then in railroad building, logging, and passenger and freight hauling schedules. The 1906 wood-burning steam loader was also used by Carter-Kelley in building Manning Mill, and later served on "portable" logging railroads. Its cables could skid logs to tracks from distances of 300 to 500 feet. Carter-Kelley merged (1930s) with w. T. Carter & Brother. This equipment was retired in 1950s. (1972) 

Manning

Marker Number:  7000
Index Entry: Manning
UTM Zone: 15
UTM Easting: 353330
UTM Northing: 3446231
Designations: na
Repairs Completed:
Marker Title:  Manning
Address:   Huntington vicinity
County: Angelina
Subject Codes: GT; LB
Year Marker Erected: 1980
Marker Location: FM 844, 10 mi. south of Huntington
Marker Size: 18" x 28"
Marker Text: The community of Manning grew up around the operations of the Carter-Kelley Lumber Company, established here about 1906. The town was named for D. W. W. Manning (b. 1820) who started a sawmill here in 1867. By 1929 Manning had a population of 1300 and included a movie theater, a school, stores, churches, a post office, and a railroad depot. The town began to decline after a fire destroyed the mill in the mid-1930s, and operations were moved to Camden (30 mi. W). The townsite is now marked by homes, sawmill ruins, and a cemetery. (1980, 1995) Supplemental plaque: This house and what was left of Manning after the mill fire of 1936 were bought by Morgan M. Flournoy. Here he and his wife Ruby raised five children.

Marion, Site of the Town of

Marker Number: 8712
Index Entry: Marion, Site of the Town of
UTM Zone: 15
UTM Easting: 
UTM Northing: 
Designations: na
Repairs Completed: 
Marker Title: Site of the Town of Marion
Address: Huntington vicinity
County: Angelina
Subject Codes: CY
Year Marker Erected: 1936
Marker Location: 12 miles east of Huntington on SH 103, 2.5 miles north on CR (difficult to find)
Marker Size: 36' Centennial - Subject Marker (gray)
Marker Text: Site of the town of Marion, known as early as 1828 as McNeill's Landing. In 1831 it consisted of over 200 buildings. First county seat of Angelina County, 1846 - 1854.

Martin Wagon Company, Site of

Marker Number: 8713
Index Entry: Martin Wagon Company, Site of
UTM Zone: 15
UTM Easting: 335586
UTM Northing: 3468393
Designations: na
Repairs Completed: Fair
Marker Title: Site of Martin Wagon Company
Address:  Lufkin
County: Angelina
Subject Codes: MG; LV
Year Marker Erected: 1980
Marker Location:  Lufkin Ave. at Fourth St. (NE corner), Lufkin
Marker Size: 18" x 28"
Marker Text: Daniel Webster Martin (d. 1916) and his two sons opened a small wagon shop here in 1908. An inventor and designer, Martin developed various wagons for use in the lumber industry. In partnership with B. L. Zeagler, he incorporated the operation as the Martin Wagon Company in 1910. The business continued to prosper until the 1930s, when the Depression caused decreases in the demand for timber related products. Later acquired by the Lufkin Foundry and Machine Co., renamed Lufkin Industries in 1970, it became the basis of the company's trailer division. (1980)

Mount Calvary Baptist Church

Marker Number: 8714
Index Entry:  Mount Calvary Baptist Church
UTM Zone: 15
UTM Easting: 
UTM Northing: 
Designations: na
Repairs Completed: not surveyed
Marker Title:  Mount Calvary Baptist Church
Address: 208 Calvary St., Lufkin
County:  Angelina
Subject Codes:  LB; GT; WA
Year Marker Erected:  1993
Marker Location:
Marker Size:  18" x 28"
Marker Text: Mount Calvary Baptist Church was founded in 1892 when Ellen Grimes asked her employer for the use of a house as a church for African Americans in Keltys. The church's first pastor was the Rev. J. James. The congregation has occupied four different buildings. In 1948 the Angelina County Lumber Company deeded land for the church site. The congregation supports many community outreach programs and mission work in Africa. The Mount Calvary Baptist Church continues to serve the Lufkin area as it has for more than 100 years. (1996)

 

Angelina County, TX Historical Markers information gathered from
Texas Historic Sites Atlas - http://atlas.thc.state.tx.us


 

 

This  County is a part of the TXGenWeb Project, which with the other state projects, forms The USGenWeb Project. It is an organization of volunteers working for the free access of public and public domain records used in genealogical research.   If you would like to become involved,
contact Shirley Cullum  the TXGenWeb  Texas State Coordinator.
 
All rights reserved. This information may be used by libraries and genealogical societies,
however, commercial use of this information is strictly prohibited without prior permission
 of the owner. If copied, this copyright notice must appear with the information.