Home

 

Welcome to Angelina County

 the  "   Land of the Little Angel "

 

 

Angelina County Historical Markers (J-L)

 

Archives | Cemeteries | Home | Links | Lookups | Resources | Surnames | Cities | Angelina Links

 

 

 

Joaquin, Don, Crossing on Bedias Trail - Lufkin Vicinity

Marker Number:  6990
Index Entry:  Joaquin, Don, Crossing on Bedias Trail
UTM Zone: 15
UTM Easting: 336000
UTM Northing: 3480495
Designations: 
Repairs Completed:
Marker Title:  Don Joaquin Crossing on Bedias Trail
Address:   Lufkin vicinity
County:  Angelina
Subject Codes:  RD
Year Marker Erected:  1979
Marker Location: Angelina River Bridge, 9 mi. N of Lufkin on US 59
Marker Size:  18" x 28"
Marker Text: Used by Indians, explorers, traders and missionaries, this trail ran  from Bedias Indian camps on the lower Trinity River to Spanish missions near Nacogdoches. Don Joaquin de Orobio y Basterra, captain of the presidio at La Bahia (present Goliad), led reconnaissance troops along the trail in 1746 and gave his name  to the Angelina River crossing. Italian-born trader Vicente Michili owned a large ranch near the crossing before 1800. Bedias Trail was important in Angelina County's development. Railroads and  major highways later followed the Trail's route. (1979) 

Jonesville, Site of the Town of

Marker Number:  7008
Index Entry: Jonesville, Site of the Town of
UTM Zone: 15
UTM Easting: 351034
UTM Northing: 3459061
Designations: na
Repairs Completed:
Marker Title:  Site of the Town of Jonesville
Address:   Lufkin vicinity
County: Angelina
Subject Codes: GT
Year Marker Erected: 1936
Marker Location: 12 mi. SE of Lufkin on US 69
Marker Size:  36' Centennial - Subject Marker (gray)
Marker Text: Site of the town of Jonesville, second county seat of Angelina County, August 22, 1854 - May 19, 1858.

Kerr's Inc.

Marker Number: 7009
Index Entry: Kerr's Inc.
UTM Zone: 15
UTM Easting: 
UTM Northing: 
Designations: na
Repairs Completed: 
Marker Title: Kerr's Inc.
Address:  1114 N. Raguet St., Lufkin
County:  Angelina
Subject Codes: 
Year Marker Erected: 1981
Marker Location: 
Marker Size: 18" x 28"
Marker Text: Regarded as the oldest Angelina County business in continuous operation, Kerr's began in 1870 as a general store in the early county seat of Homer (5 mi. SE). It was started by Civil War veteran Capt. Joseph Kerr (B. 1828), a native of South Carolina. The operation was moved to Lufkin in the 1880s, soon after the railroad town was founded. An active business, civic, and political leader, Kerr was later succeeded in the firm by his sons. Started in the early days of the county and later operated as a tin shop, Kerr's Inc. is now a leader in steel fabrication. (1981) 

Kurth Home

Marker Number: 8707
Index Entry: Kurth Home
UTM Zone: 15
UTM Easting: 
UTM Northing: 
Designations: Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Repairs Completed:
Marker Title: Kurth Home
Address:  Lufkin vicinity
County: Angelina
Subject Codes: BH; LB
Year Marker Erected: 1964
Marker Location:  on US 69 in Keltys, one mile north of Lufkin
Marker Size: Medallion
Marker Text: (medallion only - no plate) 

Lindsey Springs Logging Camp

Marker Number: 8708
Index Entry:  Lindsey Springs Logging Camp
UTM Zone: 15
UTM Easting: 338621
UTM Northing:  3457040
Designations: na
Repairs Completed: 
Marker Title:  Lindsey Springs Logging Camp
Address: Lufkin vicinity
County:  Angelina
Subject Codes:  LB; GT; WA
Year Marker Erected:  1993
Marker Location: 6 mi. south of Lufkin or 2.3 mi. south of the intersection of FM 2108 and FM 58 on FM 58
Marker Size:  18" x 28"
Marker Text: The naturally occurring Lindsey Springs, located approximately 3/4 of a mile northeast of this location, became the site in 1899 of the Southern Pine Lumber Company's first logging camp. the springs provided an important water source for this vital camp, which by 1900 included company housing for about 110 people, a store, school, and a church. A narrow gauge railroad transported logs from Lindsey Springs to the mill in nearby Diboll. The area's marketable timber had been cut by 1906, resulting in the camps relocation to an area west of Diboll in Trinity County. (1993) 

Lufkin

Marker Number:  8709
Index Entry:  Lufkin
UTM Zone:  15
UTM Easting:  335703
UTM Northing:  3467073
Designations:  na
Repairs Completed: Fair
Marker Title:  City of Lufkin
Address: Lufkin
County:  Angelina
Subject Codes:  CY
Year Marker Erected:  1970
Marker Location: Kiwanis Park - US Business 59S at Tulane St.
Marker Size:  24" x 18"
Marker Text:  Founded 1882. Soon became a thriving sawmill community. Named for E. P. Lufkin, chief of crew that surveyed railroad through town. Has been county seat of Angelina County since 1892. Now a regional manufacturing and commerce center. Products include paper and wood products, oilfield pumps, trailers, and foundry castings. (1970)

Lufkin CCC Camp

Marker Number:  8710
Index Entry:  Lufkin CCC Camp
UTM Zone: 15
UTM Easting: 
UTM Northing: 
Designations:  na
Repairs Completed:
Marker Title:  Lufkin CCC Camp
Address:   Lufkin
County: Angelina
Subject Codes:  FP
Year Marker Erected:  1984
Marker Location:  intersection of Frank (SH 94) and Ellis St., Lufkin
Marker Size:  18" x 28"
Marker Text: Created by President Franklin Roosevelt and approved by an Act of  Congress in 1933, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) provided youth employment programs during the Great Depression. The Lufkin CCC Camp, located near this site from 1933 until 1942, was administered by the Texas Forest Service. Young men helped to build roads and bridges, string telephone lines, and plant trees. The Lufkin CCC Camp proved to be instrumental in relieving unemployment but also helped revive the East Texas forest industry
through its use of progressive forestry techniques. (1984) 

Lufkin Foundry and Machine Company

Marker Number:  8711
Index Entry:  Lufkin Foundry and Machine Company
UTM Zone: 15
UTM Easting: 335279
UTM Northing: 3467603
Designations:  na
Repairs Completed:
Marker Title:  Lufkin Foundry and Machine Company
Address:   610 S. Raguet, Lufkin
County: Angelina
Subject Codes:  MG; OL
Year Marker Erected:  1983
Marker Location:  FM 1669 (Main St.) at the SPRR, Huntington
Marker Size:  18" x 28"
Marker Text: Chartered in 1902 as a repair shop and parts supply house for local sawmills, Lufkin Foundry & Machine Company was begun by J. H. Kurth, Frank Kavanaugh, Sr., Frank Kavanaugh, Jr., Eli Wiener and  Simon Henderson. Later, under the leadership of W. C. Trout, the company ventured into the oil industry and manufactured the first enclosed geared pumping unit. In 1926, Trout patented a counterbalanced crank that improved the pumping unit and made a name for the company worldwide. In 1939 the company added industrial gears and truck trailers to its product lines. (1983) 

Lufkin Telephone Exchange

Marker Number:  11657
Index Entry:  Lufkin Telephone Exchange
UTM Zone: 
UTM Easting: 
UTM Northing: 
Designations:  na
Repairs Completed:
Marker Title:  Lufkin Telephone Exchange
Address:  Lufkin
County: Angelina
Subject Codes:  CS; BU
Year Marker Erected:  1998
Marker Location:  corner of First and Frank streets, Lufkin
Marker Size:  18" x 28"
Marker Text: Telephone service in Lufkin began in 1898 when Dr. Alexander Madison Denman and his friend Judge Edwin James Mantooth strung telephone wires between their offices. The system was so popular that the pair soon formed the Lufkin Telephone Exchange with partner Eli Wiener, operating from offices on this site. In 1908 they contracted with the Southwestern Telegraph and Telephone Company to provide long distance service. The company grew as rapidly as telephone technology itself, eventually acquiring the telephone exchanges of a large portion of East Texas. In 1985 the corporation was reorganized as the Lufkin-Conroe Telephone Exchange. (1998)

 

Angelina County, TX Historical Markers information gathered from
Texas Historic Sites Atlas - http://atlas.thc.state.tx.us/Atlas/

 

 

 

This  County is a part of the TXGenWeb Project, which with the other state projects, forms The USGenWeb Project. It is an organization of volunteers working for the free access of public and public domain records used in genealogical research.   If you would like to become involved,
contact Shirley Cullum  the TXGenWeb  Texas State Coordinator.
 
All rights reserved. This information may be used by libraries and genealogical societies,
however, commercial use of this information is strictly prohibited without prior permission
 of the owner. If copied, this copyright notice must appear with the information.