Home

 

Welcome to Angelina County

 the  "   Land of the Little Angel "

 

 

Angelina County Historical Markers (G-H)

 

Archives | Cemeteries | Home | Links | Lookups | Resources | Surnames | Cities | Angelina Links

 

 

 

Gann House, The - Lufkin vicinity

Marker Number:  6999
Index Entry:  Gann House, The
UTM Zone: 15
UTM Easting: 
UTM Northing: 
Designations:  Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Repairs Completed:
Marker Title:  The Gann House
Address:   Lufkin vicinity
County:  Angelina
Subject Codes:  CB
Year Marker Erected:  1970
Marker Location: near Hwy. 94, 7.5 mi west of Lufkin
Marker Size:  Medallion & Plate
Marker Text: Early Texas double log cabin built of interlocking hewn pine logs. Originally had a "dog trot" (open center hall). Erected before 1860 by John D. Gann, first district clerk of Angelina County. Sold to W. H. Bonner in 1864. Remodeled in 1955 by L. F. Bonner, owner. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1970

Gibbs House - Huntington Vicinity

Marker Number:  7001
Index Entry: Gibbs House
UTM Zone: 15
UTM Easting: 353299
UTM Northing: 3446279
Designations: Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Repairs Completed:
Marker Title:  Gibbs House
Address:   Huntington vicinity
County: Angelina
Subject Codes: BH; LB; FS
Year Marker Erected: 1993
Marker Location:  10 miles south of Huntington on FM 844
Marker Size:  Medallion & Plate
Marker Text: W. M. Gibbs came to the town of Manning in 1904 as a sawmill manager for the Carter-Kelly Lumber Company. Gibbs (1876 - 1938) and his wife, Leannah, were the first occupants of this c. 1904 house, and here they reared their four children. Enlarged in 1927, the house is an American foursquare design with Craftsman influences. It remained in the Gibbs family until 1942 and is one of the few remaining physical reminders of the Manning community. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1993

Joseph Herrington - Huntington Vicinity

Marker Number: 7003
Index Entry: Herrington, Joseph
UTM Zone: 15
UTM Easting:  363988
UTM Northing:  3458512
Designations: na
Repairs Completed: Fair
Marker Title: Joseph Herrington
Address:  Huntington vicinity
County:  Angelina
Subject Codes:  PI; JU
Year Marker Erected: 1982
Marker Location: Herrington Cemetery, FM 2109, 10 mi. SE of Huntington
Marker Size: 18" x 28"
Marker Text: When Angelina County was organized in 1846, Alabama native Joseph Herrington (1823 - 1889) was one of six men appointed by the legislature who set boundary lines and selected Marion as the first seat of government. That same year, at the age of 22, he was elected the county's first chief justice (county judge). His accomplishments during five terms in the office, including improved trade routes and the establishment of county school districts, were vital to the area's growth. An active Mason, he was buried here in the Herrington Family Cemetery. (1982) 

Homer Cemetery - Lufkin Vicinity

Marker Number: 7006
Index Entry: Homer Cemetery
UTM Zone: 15
UTM Easting: 344401
UTM Northing: 3461279
Designations: na
Repairs Completed:
Marker Title: Homer Cemetery
Address:  Lufkin vicinity
County: Angelina
Subject Codes: GY
Year Marker Erected: 1997
Marker Location:  4 mi. SE of Lufkin on SH 69, .7 mi. S on FM 326 to Homer Cemetery Rd., .25 mi. N to cemetery and marker
Marker Size: 27" x 42"
Marker Text: In 1854 W. W. Manning established a drugstore and sawmill in this area, and named the community after his former home in Homer, Louisiana. In 1856 Homer was chosen as Angelina County seat, following a mandate from the Texas Legislature to locate a permanent seat of government near the geographic center of each county. County surveyor William G. Lang platted the town of Homer in 1857. The town included a central courthouse surrounded by 24 blocks and 132 lots. Homer Cemetery was located southeast of the courthouse square. The first recorded grave in the cemetery is that of Margaret Patterson McMullen in 1861. Two of McMullen's sons served in the Civil War, and both are also buried here. Among other veterans from the Civil War to the Vietnam War Homer remained the county seat until 1892 and included several businesses, public and private schools, churches, and a newspaper. Due to its prominence in the county, many county officials are buried here. Governed by a board of trustees, Homer Cemetery contains 270 burials, and continues to serve the community. (1997)

Homer, Site of the Town of - Lufkin

Marker Number: 7004
Index Entry:  Homer, Site of the Town of
UTM Zone: 15
UTM Easting: 344377
UTM Northing:  3461928
Designations: na
Repairs Completed: 
Marker Title:  Site of the Town of Homer
Address: Lufkin
County:  Angelina
Subject Codes:  CY
Year Marker Erected:  1936
Marker Location: 10 mi. S of Lufkin on US 69, 1/10 mi. S on FM 326
Marker Size:  36' Centennial - Subject Marker (gray)
Marker Text: Also known as Angelina, third county seat of Angelina County, 1858 - 1890. (6 mi. SE Lufkin, US Hwy. 69)

Hoo Hoo Band, Site of Rehearsal Hall for - Lufkin

Marker Number:  7005
Index Entry:  Hoo Hoo Band, Site of Rehearsal Hall for
UTM Zone:  15
UTM Easting:  335482
UTM Northing:  3468481
Designations:  na
Repairs Completed:
Marker Title:  Site of Rehearsal Hall for The Hoo Hoo Band
Address: Lufkin
County:  Angelina
Subject Codes:  MU
Year Marker Erected:  1982
Marker Location: Perry Building, Lufkin Ave. and Cotton Square, Lufkin
Marker Size:  18" x 28"
Marker Text: At the turn of the century, a group of Lufkin men organized a town brass band. It later became known as the Hoo Hoo Band after representing Texas at a national convention of the Order of Hoo Hoo, an organization of American and Canadian lumbermen. In addition to concerts in nearby Cotton (Calder) Square, the band performed at various events and also directed such civic projects as the formation of the town's fire department. Inactive by the 1920s when school bands became popular, the Hoo Hoo Band remans a symbol of Lufkin's early civic pride and quality of life.  (1982)

Hoshall - Lufkin Vicinity

Marker Number:  7007
Index Entry:  Hoshall
UTM Zone: 15
UTM Easting: 
UTM Northing: 
Designations:  na
Repairs Completed:
Marker Title:  Hoshall
Address:   Lufkin vicinity
County: Angelina
Subject Codes:  GT; LB
Year Marker Erected:  1995
Marker Location:  2.75 mi. south of Lufkin on FM 324
Marker Size:  18" x 28"
Marker Text: The Houston East and West Texas (HE&WT) Railroad came through Angelina County in 1882 and a community named Bitterweed Flat developed here. In 1913 W. E. Hoshall purchased land and timber rights in the area and began shipping logs from Hoshall Switch on the HE&WT in Bitterweed Flat. In 1917 Luke E. Wright established a sawmill and town with churches, schools, and a commissary at the switch site. The company town was named Hoshall and consisted of Anglo and African American citizens. The sawmills closed and by 1940 all that remained was the cemetery and the mill pond. Sesquicentennial of Texas Statehood 1845 - 1995

Huntington - Huntington

Marker Number:  11713
Index Entry:  Huntington
UTM Zone: 
UTM Easting: 
UTM Northing: 
Designations:  na
Repairs Completed:
Marker Title:  Huntington
Address:  Huntington
County: Angelina
Subject Codes:  CY, RR
Year Marker Erected:  2000
Marker Location:  FM 1669 (Main St.) at the SPRR, Huntington
Marker Size:  27" x 42"
Marker Text: Settlers attempted to form a townsite in this area in the 1880s, but it was not until the arrival of the railroad lines that it attracted a thriving population. Carved from virgin forests in the heyday of the southern pine timber industry and established in 1900, Huntington was named for Collis P. Huntington, chairman of the board of the Southern Pacific Railroad. E. A. Blount and W. J. Townsend, Sr., established a townsite and sold lots at a public auction in June 1900. A post office opened in 1900 with R. D. Chapman as postmaster; the Huntington Common School District was created in 1901. Within a year, A. F. Smith built a sawmill outside town. Lumber and agriculture were the area's economic heart. A Baptist church and a Methodist Episcopal church were established in 1901 and 1902. After the Texas & New Orleans rail line from Beaumont to Dallas was built through Huntington in 1902, a permanent railroad station was erected in 1903. Huntington became a center for lumber shipping and the town soon prospered. A local telephone exchange was established in 1907. A newspaper, The Huntington Messenger, was succeeded by The Huntington Herald in 1911. Huntington also had hotels, drugstores, mercantile and grocery stores, a bank, several saloons, blacksmith shops and cotton gins. Several local physicians provided medical services. Highway 40 (later U.S. Highway 69) was completed to the county line in 1924, and area electrical service began in 1927. The town was incorporated in 1938. The McMullen Memorial Library was dedicated in 1953 as a memorial to the nineteen Huntington men who died in World War  II. Huntington grew steadily throughout the remainder of the 20th century and continues to thrive at the dawn of the 21st. (2000) 

Angelina County, TX Historical Markers information gathered from
Texas Historic Sites Atlas - http://atlas.thc.state.tx.us

 


 

This  County is a part of the TXGenWeb Project, which with the other state projects, forms The USGenWeb Project. It is an organization of volunteers working for the free access of public and public domain records used in genealogical research.   If you would like to become involved,
contact Shirley Cullum  the TXGenWeb  Texas State Coordinator.
 
All rights reserved. This information may be used by libraries and genealogical societies,
however, commercial use of this information is strictly prohibited without prior permission
 of the owner. If copied, this copyright notice must appear with the information.