Home

 

Welcome to Angelina County

 the  "   Land of the Little Angel "

 

 

Angelina County Historical Markers (E-F)

 

Archives | Cemeteries | Home | Links | Lookups | Resources | Surnames | Cities | Angelina Links

 

 

 

Emporia - Diboll

Marker Number:  6993
Index Entry:  Emporia
UTM Zone: 15
UTM Easting:  329387
UTM Northing:  3450074
Designations: na
Repairs Completed:
Marker Title:  Emporia
Address:  Diboll
County:  Angelina
Subject Codes:  LB; CY
Year Marker Erected:  1996
Marker Location:  NE corner of Booker and Maynard St., Diboll
Marker Size:  18" x 28"
Marker Text:  Emporia Lumber Company co-owners S. F. Carter and M. T. Jones purchased over 5,000 acres of land in south Angelina County and established a company town named Emporia in 1893. The town included sawmill facilities, a railroad spur to ship lumber, logging camps, company houses, schools, churches, stores and a cemetery. In 1906 the sawmill burned and was not rebuilt. Although the company ceased operations, people continued to live in Emporia. Eventually the town was absorbed within the city of Diboll. (1996)

Equipment Typical of Early Texas Logging - Lufkin

Marker Number:  6991
Index Entry: Equipment Typical of Early Texas Logging
UTM Zone: 15
UTM Easting: 337856
UTM Northing: 3469842
Designations: na
Repairs Completed:
Marker Title:  Equipment Typical of Early Texas Logging
Address:   1903 Atkinson Dr., Lufkin
County: Angelina
Subject Codes: LB
Year Marker Erected:  1972
Marker Location:  Texas Forestry Assn. grounds on SH 103E
Marker Size: 14" x 24"
Marker Text: One of last ox-drawn or mule-drawn carts skidding logs to railroad from the forests. Built 1950 for W. T. Carter & Brother, a lumber firm, and replaced 1951 by tractor-powered equipment, this slip-tongue, high wheel cart is a relic of early logging methods. (1972)

Ewing - Lufkin vicinity

Marker Number: 6994
Index Entry: Ewing
UTM Zone: 15
UTM Easting:  356312
UTM Northing:  3470572
Designations: na
Repairs Completed: Fair
Marker Title: Ewing
Address:  Lufkin vicinity
County:  Angelina
Subject Codes:  LB; GT
Year Marker Erected: 1997
Marker Location: 17 mi. east of Lufkin on SH 103
Marker Size: 18" x 28"
Marker Text: The boom town of Ewing stood for two decades on the west bank of the Angelina River. Named for plantation owner James A. Ewing, the town was located near a rail line and virgin hardwood forests. In 1919 H. G. Bohlssen purchased a 100-acre tract of land and built a sawmill. A company town, Ewing grew rapidly and at its peak contained a post office, commissary, church/school, boarding house, and a population of 850. After many men left to serve in world War II or in war-related industries, the mill closed in December 1944. (1997)

Fairview School - Burke vicinity

Marker Number: 6995
Index Entry: Fairview School
UTM Zone: 15
UTM Easting: 336621
UTM Northing: 3459317
Designations: na
Repairs Completed:
Marker Title: Fairview School
Address:  Burke vicinity
County: Angelina
Subject Codes: ED
Year Marker Erected: 1997
Marker Location:  FM 2108, 3 mi. east of Burke
Marker Size: 27" x 42"
Marker Text:  The Angelina County School Board created Fairview Common School District Number 69 in the late 1800s. A one-room schoolhouse was built that served students from a wide rural area. The first school term, in 1898, was five months long. Fairview School students met at Fairview Baptist Church from about 1905 until 1913, when the county school board reorganized the common school districts. In 1915 land was purchased for a school site. A two-room schoolhouse was constructed in 1917 and enlarged with the additions of a cafeteria and an auditorium in the 1940s. The school became a community center for area residents. It served as a voting place and was the focus of social activities and holiday events. County-wide sporting events were held on the grounds. The Fairview School not only provided quality education for grades one through seven, but also hosted programs that benefited farmers. Government advisors gave instruction on agricultural techniques to increase production of cattle and the local crops of peanuts, corn, and cotton. The school closed in 1963 and was consolidated with the Lufkin School District. (1997)

First Baptist Church of Lufkin - Lufkin

Marker Number: 6996
Index Entry:  First Baptist Church of Lufkin
UTM Zone: 15
UTM Easting: 335659
UTM Northing:  3468841
Designations: na
Repairs Completed: Fair
Marker Title:  First Baptist Church of Lufkin
Address: 312 N. First St., Lufkin 
County:  Angelina
Subject Codes:  CH; BP
Year Marker Erected:  1985
Marker Location: 
Marker Size:  18" x 28"
Marker Text:  Chartered with nine members, the Lufkin Baptist Church began conducting worship services soon after rail lines reached the townsite in the early 1880s. The Houston, East & West Texas Railroad donated land at this site to Joseph Kerr, E. H. F. McMullen, and W. L. Denman, church trustees. The first sanctuary was built in 1893, during the pastorate of the Rev. W. C. Manning. A leader in mission development and in the support of Christian education, the First Baptist Church has played an important role in the growth of Lufkin since the earliest days of the town. (1985)

First Christian Church of Lufkin - Lufkin

Marker Number:  6997
Index Entry:  First Christian Church of Lufkin
UTM Zone:  15
UTM Easting:  335596
UTM Northing:  3466776
Designations:  na
Repairs Completed:
Marker Title:  First Christian Church of Lufkin
Address: 1300 S. First St., Lufkin
County:  Angelina
Subject Codes:  CH; CR
Year Marker Erected:  1996
Marker Location: 
Marker Size:  27" x 42"
Marker Text:  A Christian church was organized in Angelina County about 1884 in Homer, the county seat. When the railroad line from Houston to Shreveport was built about 5 miles from Homer, the town of Lufkin was built around the depot. Many citizens of Homer moved to Lufkin, including a majority of the church members. The Lufkin Christian Church was formally organized by the Rev. R. E. Jackson in 1894. Visiting ministers served the congregation for  many years. Worship services were held in local halls until the school building was established as the first permanent home for the church. In 1903 the school was donated by Judge E. J. Mantooth and later remodeled into a church edifice. Two residences were purchased in 1912 in downtown Lufkin and converted into a place of worship and a parsonage, but were later torn down. In 1920 the church building constructed by the congregation was dedicated. The congregation bought six acres of land in 1949 at South Raguet and South First streets and new church buildings were completed in June 1954. Several additions were made to house the growing programs of the church. The First Christian Church of Lufkin continues to serve the community as it has for more than 100 years. (1996)

First Methodist Church of Diboll - Diboll

Marker Number:  6998
Index Entry:  First Methodist Church of Diboll
UTM Zone: 15
UTM Easting:  329612
UTM Northing:  3450951
Designations:  na
Repairs Completed:
Marker Title:  First Methodist Church of Diboll
Address:  401 Hines St., Diboll
County: Angelina
Subject Codes:  CH; ME
Year Marker Erected:  1991
Marker Location:  Hines St. at Church St.
Marker Size:  18" x 28"
Marker Text:  This congregation was founded about 1897, soon after Diboll was established as a sawmill town. Early worship services were held in a local schoolhouse and in a two-story structure shared with the local Baptist congregation and fraternal organizations. Church leaders acquired this site by lease in 1914 and built their first sanctuary that year. The land was deeded to the congregation in 1922, and additional facilities were later built to accommodate the growing membership. The church still counts among its members descendants of some of its founding families. (1991)

First United Methodist Church of Lufkin - Lufkin

Marker Number:  11656
Index Entry:  First United Methodist Church of Lufkin
UTM Zone: 15
UTM Easting: 
UTM Northing: 
Designations:  na
Repairs Completed:
Marker Title:  First United Methodist Church of Lufkin
Address:  805 E. Denman Ave., Lufkin
County: Angelina
Subject Codes:  CH; ME
Year Marker Erected:  1998
Marker Location: 
Marker Size:  27" x 42"
Marker Text:  Margaret (Fullerton) Abney, born in Alabama in 1829, joined the Methodist Church with her family at a camp meeting held at nearby McKendree Campground in 1863. Because the nearest Methodist church was ten miles away, Mrs. Abney held Bible study meetings in her home on Sunday afternoons. This group of Abney family and friends formed the nucleus of the membership of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, when it organized a Lufkin congregation in 1882. One of eight churches in the Homer circuit, the congregation met once a month in a local school building to hear the sermons of the Reverend H. H. Vaughan. In 1884 a 200-seat frame church building was erected in downtown Lufkin on land donated by the railroad. The building was shared with local Presbyterians and Baptists. By 1891, membership had grown to 100 and the pastor held services twice a month. Ten years later, the membership numbered 286 and the pastor was serving full-time. Completed in 1905 at a cost of $14,750, a new sanctuary seated more than 800 people. The church propsered, requiring an educational building by 1928. Despite the difficult times of the Depression era and World War II, the congregation continued to grow, and the church was relocated to Denman Avenue in 1959. By 1978, when the congregation celebrated the 100 years since Mrs. Abney began her Sunday School, the church complex included six buildings. The First United Methodist Church of Lufkin continues an active tradition of community and missionary service. (1998)

Angelina County, TX Historical Markers information gathered from
Texas Historic Sites Atlas - http://atlas.thc.state.tx.us/Atlas/

 


 

This  County is a part of the TXGenWeb Project, which with the other state projects, forms The USGenWeb Project. It is an organization of volunteers working for the free access of public and public domain records used in genealogical research.   If you would like to become involved,
contact Shirley Cullum  the TXGenWeb  Texas State Coordinator.
 
All rights reserved. This information may be used by libraries and genealogical societies,
however, commercial use of this information is strictly prohibited without prior permission
 of the owner. If copied, this copyright notice must appear with the information.