Home

 

Welcome to Angelina County

 the  "   Land of the Little Angel "

 

 

Angelina County Historical Markers (C-D)

 

Archives | Cemeteries | Home | Links | Lookups | Resources | Surnames | Cities | Angelina Links

 

 

 

Calder Square (Cotton) - Lufkin

Marker Number:  6984
Index Entry:  Calder Square (Cotton)
UTM Zone: 15
UTM Easting: 
UTM Northing: 
Designations: na
Repairs Completed:
Marker Title:  Calder (Cotton) Square
Address:  Lufkin 
County:  Angelina
Subject Codes: 
Year Marker Erected:  1972
Marker Location:  Cotton Square at Lufkin Avenue
Marker Size:  20" x 20"
Marker Text:  City's hub, 1882- early 1900s, teeming with cotton buying, horse trades, band concerts, political rallies, switching railroad trains. Site of fire station, standpipe, 1933 memorial library named for lumberman J. H. Kurth (1857 - 1930), Square was renamed in 1961 for Kurth family friend, Louis Calder (1879 - 1963) of New York. 

Cheeseland - Lufkin vicinity

Marker Number:  6985
Index Entry: Cheeseland
UTM Zone: 15
UTM Easting:
UTM Northing:
Designations: na
Repairs Completed:
Marker Title:  Cheeseland
Address:   Lufkin vicinity
County: Angelina
Subject Codes: GT; GN
Year Marker Erected:  1981
Marker Location:  9.2 mi. N of Lufkin on US 69, then W 2.3 mi. on SH 7, then N 3.5 mi. on Old Homer-Alto Road
Marker Size: 18" x 28"
Marker Text: In 1844 Jacob Ferguson Humphrey (d. 1882), a native of Wales, built a log cabin and stockade in this area. The community that grew up near his homesite became known as Cheeseland before the Civil War. The name was chosen because of the special cheese made and sold here by German natives Caroline and Wenzell Hillenkamp. Located on the Old Homer and Alto Road, an early mail  route, and the site of a post office, Cheeseland remained an active settlement until the nearby development of wells in the 1880s. A few traces of the pioneer community remain. (1981) 

Clark's Ferry and Clark's Ferry Cemetery - Diboll vicinity

Marker Number: 6986
Index Entry: Clark's Ferry and Clark's Ferry Cemetery
UTM Zone: 15
UTM Easting:  327532
UTM Northing:  3446369
Designations: na
Repairs Completed: 
Marker Title: Clark's Ferry and Clark's Ferry Cemetery, Site of
Address:  Diboll vicinity
County:  Angelina
Subject Codes:  GY; WA
Year Marker Erected: 1996
Marker Location: US 59 at Clark's Ferry Rd., 3 mi. south of Diboll
Marker Size: 18" x 28"
Marker Text: Established by I. D. Clark in 1856, this ferry provided an important crossing on the Neches River between Angelina and Polk counties. When Clark died in 1859, his widow, Ann, operated the ferry with the help of two slaves until her own death in 1863. Ownership of the land remained in the Clark family. In 1881 W. B. Clark was issued a license to operate the ferry. A town was platted at the ferry crossing and named Clark's Station, also known as Miami. In 1860 a community cemetery was established north of the town. The ferry was phased out after modern highways were built. (1996)

Collins-Shotwell House - Lufkin

Marker Number: 6987
Index Entry: Collins-Shotwell House
UTM Zone: 15
UTM Easting: 335482
UTM Northing: 3468481
Designations: na
Repairs Completed:
Marker Title: Collins-Shotwell House
Address:  503 N. Raguet St., Lufkin
County: Angelina
Subject Codes: BH; BN
Year Marker Erected: 1992
Marker Location: 
Designation: Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Size: Medallion & Plate
Marker Text:  Attorney Chester B. Collins (1888-1960) built this house in the early 1920s with lumber provided by Lillian Knox whom he had successfully defended in a murder case. The 2-story bungalow features corbeled brick piers, wide gables with brackets, a corbeled chimney cap, and unusual window patterns. The Jean Shotwell family, property owners from 1936 to 1974 rented the house in 1937 to the family of Marvin L. Marsh, Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) district commander. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1992

Depot Explosion and Mystery - Lufkin

Marker Number: 6988
Index Entry:  Depot Explosion and Mystery
UTM Zone: 15
UTM Easting: 335482
UTM Northing:  3468481
Designations: na
Repairs Completed:
Marker Title:  Depot Explosion and Mystery
Address: Lufkin 
County:  Angelina
Subject Codes:  RR; FD
Year Marker Erected:  1982
Marker Location:  Calder Square - Ellis, Cotton and Angelina Sts.
Marker Size:  18" x 28"
Marker Text:  On the evening of March 2, 1913, an explosion destroyed the Houston, East & West Texas Railroad depot at this site, disrupting the town's vital source of transportation and trade. Although a body was not discovered, it was presumed a railroad employee had been killed in the mishap. He was later declared legally dead and his stepmother collected on his insurance. In 1916, however, he was returned to Lufkin by Judge E. J. Mantooth, a local attorney acting on behalf of the insurance firms. The railroad employee stood trial for insurance fraud, but was subsequently acquitted. (1982)

Diboll - Diboll

Marker Number:  6989
Index Entry:  Diboll
UTM Zone:  15
UTM Easting:  330267
UTM Northing:  3451779
Designations:  na
Repairs Completed:
Marker Title:  Diboll
Address: 400 Kenley,  Diboll
County:  Angelina
Subject Codes:  CY; LB
Year Marker Erected:  1994
Marker Location:  US 59 (Temple St.) at Kenley St. in front of City Hall, Diboll
Marker Size:  18" x 28"
Marker Text:  A sawmill established here in 1894 by T. L. L. Temple gave rise to a town that by 1900 contained a commissary, post office, churches, homes, and schools run by the Southern Pine Lumber Company. The town was named for the Diboll family of New Orleans from whom Temple initially purchased timber rights. Diboll remained a company town until Southern Pine Lumber Company began promoting private ownership of homes and businesses in the 1950s. Diboll was incorporated in 1962 and today boasts a multiethnic citizenry which supports numerous community activities. (1994)

Diboll Library, Old - Diboll

Marker Number:  8715
Index Entry:  Diboll Library, Old
UTM Zone: 15
UTM Easting:  329843
UTM Northing:  3451448
Designations:  na
Repairs Completed:
Marker Title:  Old Diboll Library
Address:  116 N. First St., Diboll
County: Angelina
Subject Codes:  LI
Year Marker Erected:  1990
Marker Location:  116 N. First St., at railroad tracks
Marker Size:  18" x 28"
Marker Text:  Built about 1908 by T. L. L. Temple for his Southern Pine Lumber Company employees, this building served for many years as a community library and recreation hall. While the lower floor included a reading room and recreational facilities, the upper floor contained living quarters used at various times by the Temple family, single male employees, and schoolteachers. The building was used as a Red Cross sewing room during World War I and as a food distribution point for needy families during the Depression. It later served as a residence and office. (1990) 

Angelina County, TX Historical Markers information gathered from
Texas Historic Sites Atlas - http://atlas.thc.state.tx.us

 


 

This  County is a part of the TXGenWeb Project, which with the other state projects, forms The USGenWeb Project. It is an organization of volunteers working for the free access of public and public domain records used in genealogical research.   If you would like to become involved,
contact Shirley Cullum  the TXGenWeb  Texas State Coordinator.
 
All rights reserved. This information may be used by libraries and genealogical societies,
however, commercial use of this information is strictly prohibited without prior permission
 of the owner. If copied, this copyright notice must appear with the information.