Home

 

Welcome to Angelina County

 the  "   Land of the Little Angel "

 

 

Angelina County Historical Markers (A-B)

 

Archives | Cemeteries | Home | Links | Lookups | Resources | Surnames | Cities | Angelina Links

 

 

 

Angelina & Neches River Railroad - Lufkin

Marker Number:  12377 
Index Entry:  Angelina & Neches River Railroad
UTM Zone: 
UTM Easting: 
UTM Northing: 
Designations: na
Repairs Completed:
Marker Title:  Angelina & Neches River Railroad
Address:  2225 Spence St., Lufkin 
County:  Angelina
Subject Codes:  RR, LB
Year Marker Erected:  2000 
Marker Location:
Marker Size:  27" x 42"
Marker Text:    Chartered in August 1900 and headquartered in the sawmill town of Keltys, the Angelina and Neches River (A&NR) Railroad began as a small short line railroad to move logs from the woods of East Texas to the mills of the Angelina County Lumber Company. Principal founding partners Joseph H. Kurth, Sr., S. W. Henderson, Sr., Eli Wiener and Sam Wiener, all officers in the Angelina County Lumber Company, joined the growing trend of lumber company industrialists who branched out into the railroad business about the turn of the 20th century. The A&NR began with ten miles of track and two wood-burning narrow-gauge steam locomotives. In 1906, the line added 2.54 miles of track, with its eastern terminus at Alco, a logging camp owned by the lumber company. Two new locomotives were purchased to accommodate the conversion of the track from narrow to standard gauge. By 1911, the line extended to Chireno in Nacogdoches County. With the founding of Southland Paper Mills in 1938, made possible largely due to assets of the A&NR, the railroad expanded to haul in pulpwood and ship out newsprint made from southern pine. In its first 100 years, the Angelina & Neches River's short line service played a key role in the economic development of Lufkin and other communities along the line. It continues as an important part of the history of the East Texas timber industry. (2000) 

Angelina County - Lufkin

Marker Number:  6981
Index Entry: Angelina County
UTM Zone: 15
UTM Easting:
UTM Northing:
Designations: na
Repairs Completed:
Marker Title:  Angelina County
Address:   Lufkin
County: Angelina
Subject Codes: CO
Year Marker Erected:  1936
Marker Location: .5 mi. south of Lufkin on US 69
Marker Size: 36' Centennial - Highway Marker (pink)
Marker Text: Created and organized in 1846. Originally a part of Nacogdoches County. Bears the name of the river traversing the region. The following towns have served as the county seat: Marion, 1846-1854; Jonesville, 1854-1858; Homer, Feb. 3 - May 17, 1858, when its name was changed to Angelina, 1858 - 1890; Lufkin 1890. 

Angelina County Lumber Company - Lufkin

Marker Number: 6982
Index Entry: Angelina County Lumber Company
UTM Zone: 15
UTM Easting:
UTM Northing:
Designations: na
Repairs Completed: not surveyed
Marker Title: Angelina County Lumber Company
Address: Lufkin
County: Angelina
Subject Codes:
Year Marker Erected: 1982
Marker Location: Mill Street, Lufkin
Marker Size: 18" x 28"
Marker Text: One of the first individuals to recognize the economic potential of the east Texas forests was German native Joseph H. Kurth, who came to Angelina County in 1887. He bought a sawmill from charles L. Kelty and in 1890, with Sam Wiener and S. W. Henderson of Corrigan, formed the Angelina County Lumber Company. A leader in innovative forestry, including reforestation and employment of professional foresters, the firm played a vital role in the early growth of Lufkin and area industries. Kurth family members headed the company until it was sold in 1966. 

Beulah Congregational Methodist Church - Lufkin vicinity

Marker Number: 11653
Index Entry: Beulah Congregational Methodist Church
UTM Zone:
UTM Easting:
UTM Northing:
Designations: na
Repairs Completed:
Marker Title: Beulah Congregational Methodist Church
Address:  Lufkin vicinity
County: Angelina
Subject Codes: CH; ME
Year Marker Erected: 1998
Marker Location: 12 miles southeast of Lufkin on FM 58
Marker Size: 18" x 28"
Marker Text:  Allen Squyres, son of Beaulah pioneers, joined the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1845. He was licensed to
preach in 1868 after his return from the Civil War. In 1883, area Methodists left the church they shared with local Baptists to form a Methodist Episcopal Church. The Rev. Mr. Squyres left the Methodist Episcopal Church and became a Congregational Methodist in 1889; in 1892, the Methodist Episcopal congregation moved to Beulah and joined the Congregational Methodist Conference with the Rev. Allen Squyres as their first pastor. With 34 members in 1998, the Beulah Congregational Methodist Church continued to provide worship services and community outreach to Beaulah and Angelina County. (1998)

Beulah School - Lufkin vicinity

Marker Number: 11654
Index Entry:  Beulah School
UTM Zone:
UTM Easting:
UTM Northing:
Designations: na
Repairs Completed:
Marker Title:  Beulah School
Address: Lufkin vicinity
County:  Angelina
Subject Codes:  ED
Year Marker Erected:  1998
Marker Location:  12 miles southeast of Lufkin on FM 58
Marker Size:  18" x 28"
Marker Text:  Beulah School began operations in 1903. Buildings erected and furnished by local residents were used as both school and church. State funds made possible Beulah's first full-time schoolhouse, erected one mile from this site in 1917. The structure grew to accommodate 75 students and three teachers in three rooms. Older students were transferred to Diboll High School in 1928. Though the students escaped with minor injuries, a tornado destroyed the schoolhouse during classes in April 1954. Another edifice was constructed on this site. The Beulah School consolidated with the Diboll Independent School district in 1963; the building became a community center. (1998)

Burke Methodist Church - Burke

Marker Number:  6983
Index Entry:  Burke Methodist Church
UTM Zone:  15
UTM Easting:
UTM Northing:
Designations:  na
Repairs Completed:
Marker Title:  Burke Methodist Church
Address:  Burke
County:  Angelina
Subject Codes:  CH; ME
Year Marker Erected:  1991
Marker Location:  SH 59 at CR 59D, Burke
Marker Size:  18" x 28"
Marker Text:  Founded in 1889 by a small group of Methodists, this church has played an integral role in the history of the community. H. and Nannie Belote donated land to the congregation in 1894, and the first church building was completed in 1901. It was moved to another section of church property in 1920 and was remodeled in 1940 to serve the needs of the growing membership. A new brick sanctuary and educational building were completed in 1957. Burke Methodist Church has served the community with a variety of worship, educational, and outreach programs. (1991) 

Burke School - Burke

Marker Number:  11655
Index Entry:  Burke School
UTM Zone:
UTM Easting:
UTM Northing:
Designations:  na
Repairs Completed:
Marker Title:  Burke School
Address:  Burke
County: Angelina
Subject Codes:  ED; FP
Year Marker Erected:  1999
Marker Location:  county road 62, Burke
Marker Size:  18" x 28"
Marker Text:  The community of Burke was established along the Houston, East and West Texas Railroad in 1882. S. J. and Nancy Arrington conveyed one acre of land adjoining the town on which to establish a public school. The first building, a one-room structure, was enlarged to three rooms within a few years. The 1887 enrollment was about fifty students. Voters approved a bond in 1910 to erect a brick schoolhouse for grades 1 through 7. For many years, Burke wa an independent district. The brick edifice was torn down in 1935 and replaced with a larger schoolhouse built with Works Progress Administration funds. After the Burke Independent School District was consolidated with the Diboll schools in 1964, the Burke schoolhouse remained in service to the community as a senior citizens center and polling place. (1999)

Angelina County, TX Historical Markers information gathered from
Texas Historic Sites Atlas - http://atlas.thc.state.tx.us/Atlas/

 

 

This  County is a part of the TXGenWeb Project, which with the other state projects, forms The USGenWeb Project. It is an organization of volunteers working for the free access of public and public domain records used in genealogical research.   If you would like to become involved,
contact Shirley Cullum  the TXGenWeb  Texas State Coordinator.
 
All rights reserved. This information may be used by libraries and genealogical societies,
however, commercial use of this information is strictly prohibited without prior permission
 of the owner. If copied, this copyright notice must appear with the information.